Castle Community College is located within 500m of Deal Castle; the origin of its name is derived from one of the three castles commissioned by Henry VIII from 1539-1540 to protect the Kent coast from French and Spanish Troops.
The land remained open ground until the mid 1850s when the site was predominantly used for agricultural purposes. In 1889, the southern part of the site was used as a brick works. Both Park Avenue and the Tides Leisure Centre site were also brickwork sites; there was also a pub "The Brickmakers Arms" located on the corner of Mill Road which was converted to housing in 2008. The Brickworks Site was located opposite the Cemetery on what was then called Cemetery Road. The Brickworks site was originally constructed as there was a rapid demand for bricks and the site had suitable clay for use. Two small huts were built with the brickworks site but they were demolished when the brickworks site was removed in preparation for the school building.
On 9th November 1935, it was announced that Mill Road would be widened. This is because the road was as narrow as a lane and 426 houses were being built along the road. Housing developed in the area in 1930 for the miners, prior to the school being built.
View our site maps in our Interactive Slider!
On this slider, we have arranged a selection of site maps to show how the site has changed from 1873 through to 1960. Use the arrows to navigate through the maps.
1873 Site Map
In 1873, the site was mainly open ground, before the brickworks site was added in later years. Map provided by Colin Varrall.
1889 Site Map
The 1989 map shows the recent addition of the brickworks site.
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland
1906 Site Map
The 1906 map still shows the brickworks site on the land, however more buildings have been constructed around the site. Map provided by Colin Varrall.
1907 Site Map
The 1907 map shows a very similar layout to the 1907 map, however annotation for pipe work has been added. Map provided by Colin Varrall.
1948 Site Map
The 1948 map shows the site in the post-war stage, but prior to the construction of the HORSA Huts shortly after the war. The brickworks site has been removed, however the land quality is still very poor. Map provided by Colin Varrall.
1960 Site Map
The 1960 site map shows: - The Main Building has been extended,
- The HORSA Huts have been constructed,
- And the Music Hut has been added.
Map provided by Colin Varrall.
Next: The Deal Central School and The Elizabeth Carter School